Are you up for the challenge of building an innovative new public charter school in San Jose, California? Join Promise Academy as a founding teacher in Summer 2018!
About Promise Academy
Promise Academy is a tuition-free, TK-12th grade public charter school whose academic model blends a small school environment with targeted, data-driven small group instruction to provide students with a truly unique school experience. We plan to open in San Jose in 2018 and will 210 students in grades TK, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 5th grade and 6th grade in our first year of operation. To achieve our mission, we promise every student that he or she will have access to:
High expectations with an emphasis on rigorous, standards based instruction. We hold the highest of expectations for our students and create an academic environment that allows all students to access rigorous academics and one that allows all of our students to receive substantial academic supports to ensure they succeed.
A joyful and mission-aligned school culture built in partnership with families. Our small school environment fosters community and creates a space that is physically and emotionally safe for students and one where the rich cultures and history of our diverse families are celebrated.
Flexible and targeted instruction and student grouping that is driven by data. Learning at Promise Academy will be a deeply personalized experience for students. Students will be placed in flexible, multi-age cohorts that allow our staff to leverage strategic small group instruction that blends sound instructional practice and adaptive software.
Student choice and agency. From a very young age, we will be intentional about fostering the agency that our students will need to co-design their own learning, execute their learning plans and reflect daily and weekly on their progress and areas of improvement.
A spirit of innovation and social entrepreneurship. Students will use the skills they learn to create solutions for tough challenges in their community and in their world by participating in an Innovation Lab several times a week throughout their education.
World-class instruction and staff development. Promise Academy will attract and retain committed and entrepreneurial instructional staff and will support the growth and development of our instructional staff every step of the way so that they can effectively facilitate learning for students.
About the Position: Founding Lead Teacher
As a Founding Lead Teacher you will collaborate with school leaders to establish many of the instructional components of Promise Academy’s model. A select number of founding teachers may have the unique opportunity to serve both in instructional and administrative capacities in our school’s planning year, during which we will test and refine our instructional and operating model in anticipation of the school’s full launch in fall 2018.
Full time positions for Promise Academy’s inaugural year will begin in July of 2018*. At that point we anticipate lead teachers will have the following core job responsibilities:
Opportunities and Responsibilities
- Serve as both a leader and member in the building of a collaborative, interactive and loving community of learners
- Oversee the planning of the curriculum and the most effective ways to deliver that curriculum in this innovative educational setting
- Provide guidance and leadership in the formation and implementation of the academic and social/emotional curriculum and programs
- Plan data-driven units and lessons that challenge students, engage them in the learning experiences, and support them at all performance levels
- Encourage and support students in their pursuit of excellence in education while fostering their own unique passions
- Manage students in and out of the classroom based on a foundation of mutual respect
- Evaluate student performance on a regular basis, using data to inform best practices
- Create and participate in a professional learning community to assure shared goals, outcomes, Common Core alignment, objectives, benchmarks, rubrics, and continuity of skills and values in accordance with the school’s vision and mission.
- Work in partnership with families
Leadership Skills and Characteristics
- Alignment with mission, vision, and strategic direction of the school
- High academic and behavioral expectations for all students
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience doing research-based, cross-content curriculum planning
- Pedagogical skills that enable students to apply their classroom learning to unique contexts
- Knowledge of CA state learning standards
- Strength in both data analysis and using data to plan lessons and individual student support
- Knowledge of drivers of educational inequity and key issues that impact youth development
- Ability to demonstrate cultural competency with diverse communities
- Flexibility in working both independently and collaboratively
- Willingness to address emergent priorities in any capacity
- California Teaching Credential (with CLAD certification)
- Experienced classroom teacher with demonstrated quantifiable and objective student performance gains (two or more years of experience preferred)
- Ability to work with a variety of learning abilities, including those with special needs and low skill level in a heterogeneously grouped classroom setting
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team, especially with parents and community members
- Competitive salary and benefits based on qualifications and experience
- Comprehensive retirement and benefits plan
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and the physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
To apply for this position please send a thoughtful cover letter and a current version of your resume.
Promise Academy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
*Please note that full time opportunities with Promise Academy will likely not begin until July of 2018. If you are interested in learning more about Promise Academy and potentially working at the school we encourage you to submit an application now so that you can get to know our team and school model.
Please also note that this position is for employment with Promise Academy, NOT Innovate Public Schools. Promise Academy is a separate organization. Innovate Public Schools is just hosting the application page on our website.